When inspecting the fuel filter it looked like it had not been replaced for a while. The hoses also had cracks in them so looked ready for renewal. When I pulled an injector, I found that also quite dirty and although these can be ultrasonically cleaned it seemed time for a full fuel system overhaul.
The parts of the fuel system under the right rear of the car;
Start of the job; Use flexible line clamps to (1) close the hose that drops from the tank to the damper and (2) the hose between the damper and the IN size of the fuel pump.
Then remove damper by removing the hose clamps from tank, to pump and from accumulator.
With the damper connect a hose to the one from the tank and drain the remaining fuel from the tank.
Although there is a hole in the floor under the tank where not only the fuel hose drops though, but also the in-tank filter could be removed from, I found this too difficult to reach. Instead i decided to remove the tank as I wanted to inspect this anyway.
To remove the tank, just remove the trunk rear panel. Then undo the two screws from the soft top compartment that hold the expansion tank and remove the top hose. Then undo the four bolts holding the tank down, remove the fuel out and return hose and wiggle the tank out.
On the left photo you see where the return hose is connected to. Don't forget to remove that hose. It took me 10 minutes to figure out...
These are all the old parts that I replaced.
The old in tank fuel filter at the top and the new one underneath. It needs a 46mm socket to remove as a multi-grip pliers only slip off and damages your hand :(
On the right you see the new in-tank filter with the drop hose coming down as well as the new hose from the accumulator.
Left you see the same hoses but from the rear middle fo the car.
I cleaned and resprayed the damper and also reused the accumulator. But all the rubber between the tank and the hard fuel line has been replaced.
On to the engine side of the fuel system. Replaced the injectors its seals and insulators. Perhaps the old ones could have been checked and cleaned, but decided to do the job once and properly so just replaced all 8 with new Bosch ones (the 4 shiny copper things sticking out of the engine just above the valve cover).
These are some of the old ones with the seals and insulators.
Picture taken from the parts manual showing all the parts involved.